Sunday 20 December 2009

Geminids 2009

I know it was a week ago, but better late than never. This years Geminid meteor shower was spectacular, but the weather was so frustrating.

Img_9923b

Heading off to my favourite dark site, just 20 minutes walk away and with a nice southernly view, I noticed that the cloud was following me. Should I give up before I'd even started observing? I stood and waited for maybe 15 minutes, until I saw a convincing gap in the clouds approaching. I looked in the opposite direction and saw a shooting star that convinced me to carry on and set up my camera.

Within seconds - there's a nice one. 15 seconds later - another. And then within a minute a trio heading from Gemini, low towards the left! The trio were not perfectly in sync, with milli-seconds between each, but they seemed to orignate from the same point. And then even more... I was amazed until, after just 10 minutes, thick cloud came in to end the day's play. How frustrating.

So, the Geminid shower remains my favourite, especially after seeing and astonishingly bright one back in 1994 (it so so bright it actually looked like a burning rock falling through the sky!).

It maybe cold at that time of year but with three pairs of trousers, and 5 layers on the top half, I was warm and was suitably rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment